A guide to buying cannabis seeds
The first couple months of the year is a great time to start planning your cannabis garden to get a head start on the outdoor growing season, which roughly runs from March to November, depending on where you live.
Navigating the cannabis seed market can be challenging when states have different degrees of legality. This guide will answer your questions on buying seeds so you can be on your way to growing your own cannabis.
Is it legal to buy marijuana seeds?
Marijuana seeds are considered a cannabis product just like flower, edibles, and concentrates. Their legality depends on which state you live in. People living in states with adult-use legalization can buy, produce, and sell seeds within their own state, but seeds can’t cross state lines. People living in states with medical marijuana legalization can only buy seeds if they have a medical card.
Seed banks exist outside of the US and can sell them for “souvenir purposes,” but it is illegal to bring seeds into the US and Customs will seize any cannabis seeds they find in packages or on a person.
Where can I buy cannabis seeds?
Many world-renowned seed banks are overseas in the Netherlands, the UK, Spain, and other countries where cannabis laws are less restricted. Seed banks provide seeds from a variety of different breeders.
In states with adult-use legalization or a medical marijuana program, you can buy seeds within your own state, either at a dispensary or through a specific seed company’s website.
How to buy cannabis seeds online
Before you purchase seeds online, you’ll need to figure out what strain you want to grow and what breeder you want to buy from.
Because US federal law still prohibits cannabis, it can be hard to find information on seed banks and breeders. Breeders who have a long history and positive reputation are usually a good place to start. To get an idea of what well-established breeders look like, check out:
- Sensi Seeds
- DNA Genetics
- Green House Seeds
- Southern Humboldt Seed Collective
- Exotic Genetix
You can also do some research and find an online grow journal that details the whole growing process of a specific strain from a particular breeder. Through these, you’ll be able to look over another grower’s specific notes and see pictures of the final results.
If you grow some seeds and like the results, try growing another strain from that same breeder and see how it goes.
How to buy cannabis seeds at a dispensary
Although this option is only available to people living in states with medical and adult-use legalization, buying marijuana seeds at the dispensary is far more straightforward. However, your options are more limited.
Dispensary staff should be able to give you information on the seeds they’re selling, but keep in mind that a lot of dispensaries focus on selling flower and end-products. It’s a good idea to call ahead and talk to staff to see if they are knowledgeable about seeds and can give you specific information on growing.
How to look for quality genetics when buying marijuana seeds
Breeders talk about “unstable genetics,” meaning that a seed’s origin is unknown. Make sure that when you buy a packet of seeds that it or the breeder who produced them can list where the seeds came from and how they were crossed and/or backcrossed to get the seed that you hold in your hand. If you can’t get a seed’s history, it could be anything and the result of poor breeding practices.
An inexperienced breeder might cross a male and a female one time and sell the resulting seeds as a new hybrid strain, but professional breeders usually put their strains through several rounds of backcrossing to stabilize the genetics and ensure consistent plants that reflect those genetics.
Which strain should I grow?
Even one weed plant can produce a lot of buds come harvest time, so make sure you grow a strain you like. Note strains you enjoy when you pick something up at the dispensary or smoke with friends, and look for seeds of it when you want to start growing.
Some strains are easier to grow than others because they are more resistant to mold and pests, so if you’re new to growing, you may want to try an easier strain to start.
Some strains also take longer to grow than others. Depending on whether you’re growing indoors or outdoors, you may want to grow a quicker marijuana strain if you live in a climate that get cold and wet early in the season. For example, indicas are known for having a shorter flowering time than sativas.
All of this information should be available to you when buying quality seeds.
What’s the difference between regular, feminized, and autoflower seeds?
If you buy a packet of regular seeds, they’ll come with a mix of males and females. A lot of cultivators prefer to grow these because they haven’t been backcrossed—essentially inbred—as much as feminized or autoflower seeds. You’ll need to sex out the seeds once their reproductive organs show during the flowering phase and discard the males—because they don’t produce buds and will pollenate females, resulting in seeded flowers.
Seeds can come feminized, meaning you can just put them in soil and start growing for buds. These seeds are guaranteed to be bud-producing females and growing them cuts out the step of having to sex out plants and discard the males.
It also reduces the risk of having a stray male sneak into your crop—just one male can pollinate a huge crop, causing your females to focus their energies on producing seeds instead of buds.
Autoflower plants change from the vegetative to flowering state with age, not the changing of their light cycle. They have a short grow-to-harvest time and can be ready to harvest in as little as 2 ½ to 3 months from when you put the seeds in the ground. The downside is that, typically, they are less potent, but autoflower seeds are great for people who want to grow cannabis but don’t want to spend a lot of time doing it.
How much do marijuana seeds cost?
Cannabis seeds usually come in a pack of 10 or 12 seeds and start at around $40 a pack and go up from there. Some high-end genetics can run between $200 to $500 a pack.
Feminized and autoflower seeds will cost more because more breeding work was put in to creating them and they take less time for the grower to get buds.
How many seeds should I buy? Are they all going to survive?
When you grow any amount of seeds, a percentage of them won’t germinate, even if you get them from a reputable breeder. Always count on a few not germinating or dying off, or roughly 1/4 of the total you put in the ground.
When growing regular seeds, some won’t germinate and some will have to be discarded because they’ll turn out to be males. With feminized seeds, some won’t germinate, but a higher percentage of them will turn into flowering plants because there won’t be any males.
If you want six total cannabis plants to harvest for buds and are growing from regular seeds, start with about 4 times as many, or 24 seeds. Some won’t germinate and some will turn out to be males, and then you’ll want to discard down to the six best phenotypes. If growing feminized seeds, you can probably start with about twice as many seeds in this case (about 12); a couple won’t germinate, and then discard down to the six best phenotypes.
Make sure to always stay within your state’s legal limit of growing plants.
How do I buy strain-specific cannabis seeds?
Strains like Blue Dream, Gelato, and Original Glue have gained in popularity in recent years. Check out these resources on how to buy these types of cannabis seeds:
Pat Goggins contributed to this article.
Navigating the cannabis seed market can be tricky from a legal perspective. Get the answer to your top questions about buying cannabis seeds today.
Tips on Buying Feminized Marijuana Seeds Online
Mar 8, 2019 · 6 min read
Perhaps, you’ve been wondering how anyone can buy feminized marijuana seeds online. Well, a good seed company makes the entire process easy and quick every customer. They will help you choose the right kind of marijuana seeds for your preferred growing conditions. Likewise, they help every customer place an order with peace of mind and confidence. A good seed company aims to eliminate all those inconveniences associated with purchasing marijuana seeds through the web.
A SAMPLER PACK IS WORTH CONSIDERING.
Not certain of which kind o f cannabis seeds should you grow? Are you still confused? Don’t worry. Nowadays, a seed company offers a discounted sampler pack that contains some of the best-selling feminized seeds in the market. A sampler pack is often cheaper and contains a good selection of cannabis strains. It may include something popular like Blue Dream, Northern Lights, Blueberry, White Widow, or Jack Herer.
The contents of a sampler pack may differ from one seed company to another. By choosing a good sampler pack, you will get those cannabis seeds with decent THC contents. According to Wikipedia.org, THC is among the 113 cannabinoids that exist in marijuana.
HOW CAN NOVICE GROWERS BUY FEMINIZED MARIJUANA SEEDS ONLINE?
Since it’s your first time to buy cannabis seeds, take the advice of a good seed company. By telling them that you’re new to cannabis cultivation, the company can help you find the right type and strain to cultivate in your growing space based on your expertise. Since you know even a little in gardening, a good seed company will suggest you try the autoflowering seeds.
HOW CAN ONE ORDER MARIJUANA SEEDS ONLINE?
Buying marijuana seeds through the web is quite easy and hassle-free. Visit the seller’s website, check their inventory and everything in it. Choose at least one to two different strains and add them to the cart. You can add one or more strains if you’re adventurous and serious in cultivating cannabis.
A reliable marijuana seed company often ships its products in most parts of the world. The seeds arrive in a properly sealed and discreet package for your privacy. Also, they may offer you more options to pay for the seeds. Feel free to choose the most convenient payment method for you.
WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING MARIJUANA SEEDS ONLINE?
Buying cannabis seeds online sometimes require a specific level of confidence as you don’t deal with the seller physically. You can just see and check the products on their website. Thus, you should be more careful in every step of the way. These tips will teach you how to get the right cannabis seeds for your needs today:
#1. Choose a Good Seller
Your first step in purchasing marijuana seeds online is to look for a trusted seller in your area. There are several seed companies online but never forget to research in looking for the right one. A reputable cannabis seller has a good name in terms of giving good-quality products and making timely deliveries. Consult the weed growers near you for help on where you can get the right seed bank.
#2. Packaging and Delivery
Everyone wants to get their orders right away after you place your order. Look at the delivery periods of each seller and search for one that favors you. Most of the seed companies deliver cannabis seeds in 7 days if they ship orders within 24 hours for local customers. For example, their company makes deliveries in Canada on the same day after placing the order.
Likewise, a good seed company must give proper packaging so that nobody will be curious on the package’s content. Without proper packaging, your order may fail to arrive on time.
#3. Choose a Strain
The quantity of available seeds and strains is also a crucial factor that you should consider when buying a seed. A good seed company labels their products correctly to avoid confusion which may arise when people are searching for a good strain for their needs.
#4. Payment Choices
Pick a reliable seed company that will accept your chosen payment method. A good one accepts different payment choices like credit and debit cards. Furthermore, they can negotiate in other ways when you talk to their customer support desk. A good seed company focuses mainly on giving quality cannabis seeds to their clients and not to earn profits.
A trustworthy seed company is always a phone call away to answer your inquiries regarding your products. You may contact them through the phone or send them a message via email. Canada is home to countless companies that sell seeds of various cannabis strains. Choose a good seller for your peace of mind.
HOW TO BUY FEMINIZED MARIJUANA SEEDS SAFELY THROUGH THE WEB?
It is not easy to buy feminized marijuana seeds online. Buying them online is risky at some point. Good thing, there are several ways to protect your privacy and order high-quality cannabis seeds in the safest way.
Cannabis seeds are widely available online today. They are available in many sellers online, so make sure you deal with a good vendor. You must look for a seed company that delivers quality marijuana seeds at a reasonable price. These safety tips will help you make a good choice today:
- Keep the Entire Transaction a Secret — this tip is applicable in all cases, even when you buy cannabis seeds at a local dispensary. How sure are you that your friend or neighbor will never tell your secret to anybody? Instead, keep everything in yourself. That’s how you can be more certain of your security when buying marijuana seeds online.
- Use Your Credit Card When Paying for Cannabis Seeds — when ordering marijuana seeds online, use your business credit card that bears your business address. This way, the whole transaction will be safer and more discreet. Likewise, a good seed company keeps all details discreet and safe for the convenience of both the company and its customers. Credit card details are now more secure over the web. A good seed company often destroys and erases the customer’s payment information right away after they processed the order. If you’re still scared about your security, why not use any other acceptable mode of payment? You may try postal money order, prepaid VISA card, or cash.
- Use Your Exact Home Address for a More Accurate Shipment — the mailman always knows if the recipient is living in the given address or not. At least, use initials in your address for your privacy. Make your order deliverable by doing this.
- Don’t Use an Irrelevant Shipping Address — don’t use any address that has no relation to you or to your activities. Likewise, you should never use your grow room’s address.
- Don’t Use Your Personal Email Address in the Ordering Information -instead, use a public email address as a contact detail when the seed company asks for it. A seed company may save your email address elsewhere, which can jeopardize you and your security. Thus, your best option is to use a public email address instead of a personal one.
- Send the Package to Somebody Else or to the Address That Has No Connection to You — this person can be your sister, your girlfriend, or your best friend. They don’t need to find out what it is. Instead, tell them something will arrive at their doorsteps and that is for you. A good seed company will ship the cannabis seeds to you in a 100% discreet manner.
- Don’t Sign the Parcel. For your security and privacy, have somebody else to sign the delivery record for you.
Wait for Your Order with Patience — if you buy cannabis seeds abroad, the shipment process may become more time-consuming. Thus, you must wait for your order with patience. Give it time before calling the seller and complaining.
- Don’t Place a Large Order to One Seller — if you want to buy a hundred of cannabis seeds or more, divide the order into smaller orders and place them to different trusted seed companies in your area. This way, you will avoid losing all your seeds in case something wrong happens on the road.
- Buy Female Feminized Seeds — female cannabis seeds are more expensive at first. Yet, it will save you time and cash in the long run. Buying feminized seeds guarantees you’ll have a consistent supply of buds for this month and beyond.
- Choose a Seed Company that Guarantees Secure, Safe, Discreet, and Timely Shipping — only a few companies out there can guarantee such things to every customer. Therefore, make sure you hire a good company. Look for the most trusted ones for your peace of mind.
- Buying feminized cannabis seeds through the web for the first time is not an easy thing. It scares every novice grower, but the whole thing will be successful once you know how to do it right. It is important to ensure you get the seeds from a reputable source. Aside from helping you ensure your security and safety, it will also keep you from being a scam victim. This is the only way to avoid the bogus sellers out there.
- The internet is full of companies and websites that sell cannabis seeds and strains. Choose a seller that works hard to earn your attention and trust. Check out the reviews online and meet the most reliable Canadian seed companies of today.
Perhaps, you’ve been wondering how anyone can buy feminized marijuana seeds online. Well, a good seed company makes the entire process easy and quick every customer. They will help you choose the…