Hemp seeds can help you lose weight. Too good to be true? Just read!
Who knew hemp seeds would be so high on zinc quotient! Image courtesy: Shutterstock
‘Marijuana’, the excitement surrounding this word knows no bounds. Especially in India, it is illegal to possess, consume or trade any of the three forms of marijuana i.e. ganja , charas or bhang . But, there’s an exception to this rule, which is hemp.
Hemp is that usable part of the marijuana plant, which contains a negligible amount of THC that doesn’t provoke any psychological effect.
The nutritional benefits are quite large compared to the tiny little size of the seeds. Hemp contains the longest and most durable natural fibre that helps in digestion and improves metabolism.
Let’s delve deeper into understanding how hemp seeds can help you shed kilos.
1. Hemp seeds can help you build muscle mass
Hemp seeds are an excellent source of protein as they offer nine essential amino acids. Guess what? Now you can dump your expensive protein powder and add three tablespoons of raw hemp to your smoothie instead to change things up.
It not only keeps you full but is also a great option for vegans and vegetarians out there who are looking to up their protein intake!
2. Boosts your metabolism and aids weight loss
A study, published in the Journal of Nutrition, found that fish oil along with a high-fat diet significantly reduced weight compared to a high-fat diet without fish oil. It also increased the metabolism in the intestine.
Oil extracted from hemp seeds is the secret ingredient to increase your metabolism. Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Though the study was based on fish oil, it remains valid for hemp oil extracted from the hemp seed as it contains similar nutrient values that are responsible for making fish oil so healthy.
3. Provides the good fats that your body needs
Hemp seeds are rich in essential fatty acids such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is an omega-3.
This largely maintains the required balance between omega-6 and omega-3s in the body. Moreover, they are low in saturated fats and contain no trans fats! Awesome, right?
4. Great for those who are on a keto diet
In three tablespoons serving of hemp seeds, there are just two grams of carbs. The mild, nutty flavour makes it the perfect thing to add to your oatmeal or toasts.
Dieters who are cutting on carbs to lose weight, hemp seeds might be your perfect pick.
Have yummy avocado toasts topped with hemp seeds. Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Here are simple ways to incorporate these tiny brown seeds in your everyday diet:
- Sprinkle seeds over cereal or yogurt
- Grind the seeds and add to your smoothies
- Make hemp milk at home using whole seeds, water, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Blend together all the ingredients and you’ll get dense and rich hemp milk.
- Use hemp seed oil to make salads
- Consume them raw! You’ll love the crunch
So, make the most of these tiny seeds and reap their weight loss benefits.
Finding nirvana in good food, Shreya also loves reading books and is a die-hard Potterhead. Confident and motivated she’s fun to be with. Plus food. Always.
Hemp seeds have astonishing health benefits including weight loss. They are a great source of nutrition and can transform your body for good.
Did You Know Hemp Seeds Can Help You Lose Weight? What Are These Seeds? Know More
Hemp seeds can help those suffering from constipation. Insoluble fibers that are present in the hemp seed can also provide relief from diarrhea. On the other hand, soluble fibers, stimulate the production of bile juice, which in turn reduces the amount of LDL cholesterol.
Hemp seeds and their several health benefits
- Hemp seeds have a mild and a nutty flavor
- Hemp oil is made by pressing the hemp seeds
- Hemp seeds or hemp seed oil may lower the blood pressure level
Hemp seeds which is considered as one of the super foods are the seeds from the the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. Hemp seeds are tiny brown seeds extremely nutritious and rich in proteins, healthy fats and various minerals. They have a mild, nutty flavor and are often referred to as hemp hearts. Hemp is a widely utilized and diverse industrial crop in the world. The fiber content in the seeds is considered to be the longest and most durable of all the natural fibers. It can even be grown without any deadly herbicides or pesticides. Hemp seed oil or hemp oil is made by pressing the hemp seeds. These seeds aid in digestion, balance the hormones and improve metabolism. You can sprinkle them on your foods, salads and ground them into powder and add it in your milk.
Hemp seeds have a mild and a nutty flavor
Photo Credit: iStock
Have a look at some of the health benefits of hemp seeds:
1. Healthy heart: Heart diseases are the number one cause of death all over the world. Including hemp seeds in your diet may lower the risk of heart disease. The hemp seeds contain amino acid arginine in high quantities which produces nitric oxide in your body. As an added benefit, hemp seeds or hemp seed oil may lower the blood pressure level, help in speedy recovery after a heart attack and decrease the risk of blood clot formation.
2. Aids in digestion: Hemp seeds are the ideal dietary supplement as it contains a mix of soluble and insoluble fibers. As we all know that fiber is important for gastrointestinal health. The fiber in the hemp seeds feeds the probiotics in the stomach, hence keeping it healthy. As an added benefit, it is beneficial for people dealing with constipation. Just a handful of hemp seeds a day can help those suffering from constipation. Insoluble fibers that are present in the hemp seed can also provide relief from diarrhea. On the other hand, soluble fibers, stimulate the production of bile juice, which in turn reduces the amount of LDL cholesterol.
3. Joint pain and arthritis: A study published in the Journal of Ethno pharmacology took a look at the hemp seed oil’s effects on arthritis and joint pain. They concluded that the hemp seed oil has anti-arthritic effects, which can help patients suffering from its symptoms and other joint pains. One tablespoon of hemp seed oil daily along with a quality fish oil can do wonders for people who are suffering with some sort of joint pain.
Hemp seed oil has anti-arthritic effects
Photo Credit: iStock
4. Improved skin: Instead of using skin ointments for skin damage one can use hemp seeds for skin ailments. The essential vitamins, minerals and most importantly the presence of omega 3 fatty acids can improve skin conditions like eczema. You can incorporate hemp seeds in your daily skin care routine for healthy skin.
You can incorporate hemp seeds in your daily skin care routine
Photo Credit: iStock
5. Weight loss: Hemp is fibre rich and a natural appetite suppressant, therefore it can help you feel full for longer and reduce hunger cravings. Simply adding four tablespoons of hemp seeds to your breakfast will help curb the excess hunger all day long. This is due to the fiber content in hemp seeds, which promotes satiety and in turn controls your weight.
Hemp seeds promote weight loss
Photo Credit: iStock
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Hemp seeds which is considered as one of the super foods are the seeds from the the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa.